Having your own movie theater is no longer just for the very rich. Now you can have one in your own back yard. It isn’t all that cheap, but it is within the reach of most people, and over time you would save a lot on what it costs to go to movie theaters.
This system includes everything you need, not the least of which is a 12-foot movie projector screen, that will give you the big-screen feel even in your own back yard. It even comes with cords, so the only thing you have to supply is the movie and the snacks.
- Waterproof screen, won’t get damaged if a shower comes up.
- Optima 720p Projector that is 3d capable.
- Two 8-inch SAVI speakers, which are of high quality, and they come with speaker stands that are easy to set up.
- 20-foot outdoor quality extension cord with three-way electrical splitter, You may need a power strip.
- Gearbag keeps everything together, and comes with its own media storage cabinet. Storage is fairly easy when it is taken down, and setting up is not all that difficult.
- Wifi and Blu-ray connectivity which allows you to show live broadcasts of sporting events. It isn’t a TV, but you can still show programs and feeds live.
What we liked
- The best thing about this system is how complete it is. You really do not have to buy anything extra, just set it up and plug in a movie.
- Setup is fairly straightforward, but can be a little complicated for those not used to setting up electronics. There is good tech support, and a good manual that is written in understandable language.
- It plays about any kind of movie, or video you would like. Also has Wifi and Blu-ray connectivity so you can watch sports as well. The Wifi connectivity is a great addition, making sports broadcasts just as easily available as your favorite movie.
- Big screen and good speakers give you a real movie feel. It doesn’t feel like a cheap portable outfit because it isn’t that at all.
- Something like this is big and a little complicated to set up, so the company offers 60 day free tech support by phone. By then you can have it all figured out.
- This unit has a 12-foot screen, but the system is also available with other sizes, such as 16, 12 and 10-foot screens. Different levels of projectors are also available, which will allow you to adjust the cost.
What we don’t like
- Not the most portable option, so it is packed well for storage. This is a big system and does a nice job, so it is hard to be all that portable. It is not that hard to set up, but it is not something you can take on a camping trip easily.
- The price. How good of a movie quality do you really need for a backyard event? The quality is excellent here, but the price tag is high as well. You could get by with a more portable unit that costs a lot less, that would also allow more flexibility.
- This is system that has a projector at the front. For this price, you could get one that has rear projection, showing the movie from the back of the screen. This eliminates the need for a projector, and saves some space as well. This one does a fine job, but back lit just seems better in this price range.
Best suited for …
This is a great system for people who have a big backyard and like to entertain. Everything you need is in the box, and once set up, it will be there for awhile. It is great for showing just about any kind of video, including live events like ball games or the Olympics. For the serious movie fan who likes to entertain, this is great.
Not so great for …
It is a little too much for the casual user who might want to take a movie screen camping, or to a tailgate party. It just isn’t designed to be that portable. The casual user might like a cheaper outfit that is more portable.
If you like to entertain, and like showing movies, and have the money, this is a great system. It isn’t cheap as we said, but you get what you pay for. The quality is excellent, both from a construction standpoint, and from a performance standpoint. For outdoor, backyard movies, it can’t be beat. While it is somewhat portable, it is not easily portable, so keep that in mind while shopping. If you want outdoor movies, but don’t need to move it a lot, this is a great option. These systems can also be used to add visual effect at outdoor concerts and other activities.